For most ceremonies there are no legal requirements. The big exception to this is a wedding ceremony. You will need various documents to support your application for lodgement of the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM). These may include:
- an original certificate of birth
- an original extract of an entry of birth in an official register
- a statutory declaration
- a record of birth letter
- a current overseas passport
- a court order permitting marriage of a party under the age of 18
- a decree absolute
- a certificate of death
- a certificate of nullity
- an official translation of relevant documents
- an appropriate statutory declaration
A Notice of Intended Marriage must be completed at least one month and one day before the ceremony. This form can be downloaded and printed via the links page .
NOTE : All documents must be originals. An Australian passport is not acceptable as proof of birth for an Australian citizen or resident. I do request that you bring these documents with you to our first meeting so that I can photocopy and return your originals immediately.
I am happy to help you with your special requirements.